Does your apartment complex or condo association restrict the use of charcoal or propane grills at your residence? Do you miss grilling? An electric grill may be your best alternative. Admittedly, it is not the same as gas or charcoal, but innovative grillers have learned to use their electric grills and swear by them. With that in mind, we’re pleased to present our list of the best electric barbecue grills that you can buy today!
Electric grills also have no direct emissions to the environment and are therefore more climate-friendly than grills that openly burn charcoal or propane gas.
We at ChristineFriar.com love our BBQ. We will therefore be conducting some Best Electric Barbecue Grills reviews to reveal some of the more popular electric grills sold today. We’ll also review grill accessories. If you are in the market for an electric grill, please check us out. Also, check out our electric grill recipes, which we will be updating with new recipes on a regular basis!
An Electric Grill Can Substitute for Gas or Charcoal
Does your apartment or condo complex have restrictions on using gas or propane grills at your residence? Are you concerned that your gas or charcoal grill are contributors to global climate change? Then your alternative may be using an electric grill. Electric grills do not use open flames; therefore they are safe to use at apartments or condos. Additionally, they do not contribute direct emissions of CO2 to the environment; making them more climate-friendly.
With Proper Use, an Electric Grill Can Produce Results
Using innovation, electric grill users can closely mimic the results of gas or charcoal. Further, some people swear by their electric grills! The key is learning how to properly use your electric, and developing techniques to make your food come out with the results you expect. Some users soak wood chips and place them on the reflector pan below the heating element. This acts to impart the smoky-flavor they are accustomed to having with charcoal. Others are able to use their electric grills to smoke meats or even bake a frozen pizza.
So, do not be disappointed if rules restrict you from barbecuing the old-fashioned way. Or, if your concerns for climate change are causing you to regret using propane or charcoal anymore. Consider getting an electric grill and how you might prepare your old grilling recipes in a new way.
Be Sure to Check Us Out!
We will continuously be reviewing some of the more popular electric grills sold today. Brands reviewed include Meco/Easy Street, Char-Broil, George Foreman, Weber, Cuisinart, and Masterbuilt. We also review grill accessories. If you are in the market for an electric grill, please check us out. Also, check out our electric grill recipes, which we will be updating with new recipes on a regular basis!
Our List of The Best Electric Barbecue Grills
Cuisinart CEG-980 Outdoor Electric Grill with VersaStand
An Incredible Electric Grill
The Cuisinart CEG-980 outdoor electric grill with VersaStand integrated adjustable telescoping base provides authentic grilling performance and flavor. It is perfect for entertaining your closest family and friends. Its small format fits easily on balconies and small patios – great for places where propane or charcoal grills aren’t allowed. And although the grill is compact, its ample 145 sq. in cooking grate is large enough to cook a delicious family barbecue. Now you can take the world famous Cuisinart brand to your patio, lawn, tailgate, or campsite with their comprehensive line of Cuisinart outdoor grilling products.
These Electric Grills Are Climate Friendly
Electric grills have a myriad of advantages over the outdated and environmentally unfriendly charcoal and gas grills. For one thing, there is no messy and smoky charcoal to deal with. There also are no heavy propane tanks to mess with that can leak a major greenhouse gas to the atmosphere. Additionally, this grill’s Infinite Heat Control settings get hot enough to sear a steak, and guarantees perfect results for all of your grilling. Best of all, there are no direct CO2 emissions, which we all know are having a severe impact on the Earth’s climate. Check it out on Amazon.com for specific price and specs.
This Cuisinart Electric Grill’s Key Features
• Easy set-up and no assembly required
• Unit weighs just 17 lbs.
• Measures 31.5” x 16” x 11” (H x W x D)
• Portable, with telescoping VersaStand
• Sets up and packs away in seconds
• Has briefcase-style carrying handle; for easy one-handed transport
• Integrated lid lock secures grill during transport
• Porcelain-enameled grill grate
• Stainless steel heat reflector helps heat up grill quickly
• Powerful 1500-watt, 5120 BTU burner
• UL approved for outdoor use
• Plugs into standard electrical outlet
• 3 Year limited manufacturer warranty
Real Grilling Flavor!
The Cuisinart CEG-980 outdoor electric grill cooks up juicy steaks, burgers, and fish just like a gas grill thanks to its powerful 1500-watt, 5120 BTU burner, which spreads heat quickly and evenly throughout the 145-square-inch grill grate. The compact design has a lid with a stainless-steel heat reflector that acts as an insulator for trapping heat inside the grill; reducing cooking times and saving electricity. All of this translates into searing hot temperatures and prefect grill lines on everything you cook.
This grill is a breeze to transport, set up, and store. The thoughtfully designed telescoping VersaStand adjusts the grill to a comfortable cooking height. The VersaStand and the compactness of this grill means you’ll spend less time worrying about the hassles of putting your barbecue together. The grill and stand are so convenient to transport, carry, and set up, that it is an easy decision to just toss it in the trunk of your car and go.
The VersaStand comes integrated into the base of the grill, with a set of telescoping poles that smoothly collapse for easy storage. When you’re ready to grill, simply push the button on each VersaStand leg to release the telescoping legs, and then lift up the grill box. Once the two legs drop into position, you’ll have a sturdy grill that stands at an ideal grilling height. When you’re finished grilling, the stand collapses as easily as it sets up. When folded-up, the convenient carrying handle lets you tote the 17-pound grill just like a briefcase.
There are no charcoal or propane hassles with a Cuisinart CEG-980 outdoor electric grill, and by using an electric grill, you get to play a more active role in protecting the Earth’s climate. Apartment and condo dwellers, often restricted from using propane or charcoal grills for fire-protection purposes, will love being able to grill again using this electric grill. It’s fully electric, so you’ll get high quality grilling with no charcoal, no propane, and no flare-ups.
The Cuisinart CEG-980 grill is one of the electric grills sold at Amazon.com, having received 128 reviews with a 3.5 star rating (80 positive reviews, 28 critical reviews). Below is a synopsis of the Amazon review comments:
- Great compact size for small patios
- This is great where you have limited space or can’t have an open flame
- You can take it along on a picnic (so long as electricity is available
- Heats up fast; cooks evenly, and food remains moist
- It heats up quickly; has great heat distribution
- Telescoping legs make it easy to stow away
- It’s a great smoker
- I have bbq’d steak, chicken, veggies, and beef ribs; all were tasty!
- Barely heats up enough
- A pain to clean under the heating element
- Drip tray is hard to clean out
- The grease trap is very small
- The cleaning of parts is a bit cumbersome
- We loved this grill for four months — then it died
- Mine burned out in about a month
Note: Cuisinart and the Cuisinart logo are registered trademarks of Cuisinart, a division of the Conair Corporation. Photos courtesy of Amazon.com.
Char-Broil TRU Infrared Patio Bistro Electric Grill
An Amazing Electric Grill
The Char-Broil TRU Infrared Patio Bistro electric grill (red exterior color) is an awesome and environmentally-friendly way to host your backyard bbq party! The electric Patio Bistro grill features precision-dial electric control, a porcelain coated premium cooking grate, and 1750 watts of grilling power. Char-Broil TRU-Infrared grills generate a minimum of 65 percent infrared heat, which is evenly spread across the entire cooking surface to cook food (without drying) at temperatures that range from simmer to sear. Check out the current price and actual specs on Amazon.com.
This Char-Broil Electric Grill’s Key Features
- Compact and stylish design
- Weatherproof enameled finish
- Measures 38.2” x 25.2” x 24.4” (H x W x D)
- Weighs just 35 lbs.
- Heat-resistant handle
- Includes wheels for mobility and a towel bar for tools and accessories
- Removable dial control provides 1750 watts of grilling power
- 320 total sq. inches of cooking area
- Primary cooking area 240 sq. inches
- Warming rack area 80 sq. inches
- Grill grate made from porcelain-coated steel
- Premium cooking grate is dishwasher safe and a snap to clean
- 550-degree (°F) temperature gauge
- Heat is measured at the cooking surface so you get exactly what you ask for
- TRU-Infrared promises juicer food without hot or cold spots
- Can be used with (presoaked) flavored wood chips
- Plugs into any common 120 volt power outlet
- Meets the International Fired Code for multi-unit dwellings
- 1 year limited manufacturer warranty
Real Barbecue Flavor!
The Char-Broil TRU Infrared Patio Bistro grill offers real barbecue flavor with no charcoal or propane hassles, and offers you a chance to play a more active role in protecting the Earth’s climate. Condo owners, often restricted from using propane or charcoal grills for fire-protection purposes, will love being able to grill again using this electric grill. It’s fully electric, so you’ll get high quality grilling with no charcoal, no propane, and no flare-ups.
This Char-Broil Patio Bistro grill is the #2 best-selling electric grill sold at Amazon.com, having received 1,048 reviews with a 4.2 star rating (799 positive reviews, 242 critical reviews). Below is a synopsis of the Amazon review comments:
- Perfect for apt buildings that don’t allow gas or charcoal
- Assembly was extremely easy; is light-weight and easy to move around
- Perfect for apartment living–I can have use this on my balcony
- An excellent choice if you have limited space or cannot have an open flame
- It has a small footprint, and takes up very little space on the patio
- The fact that I will never have to buy gas or charcoal again is great!
- I’ll probably never go back to charcoal or gas
- I’ll be likely to grill more often because it’s easier to use than charcoal or gas
- Because it has a temperature gauge on top, I can even bake in it
- This electric grill still provides grill marks/grilled taste
- The heating element works great in all weather conditions
- The unit is well engineered and when put together is very sturdy
- Has a nice catch pan for grease to run in
- I live on the beach; this grill stands up very well to the salty air and humidity
- Considering the money I paid for this grill, it is an excellent BBQ
- I miss cooking with gas but am satisfied
- This grill is unnecessarily difficult to put together
- Appears to be made of flimsy materials
- This grill takes a long time to heat up; will not hold heat
- Loses heat easily if lid is left open too long
- It does not get very hot so food takes longer to cook
- Struggles to hold temperatures once food goes on
- Heat distribution is very uneven
- The grid is a huge pain to clean
- A large grease fire can occur when cooking fatty foods
- The paint started to peel on our grill
- Thermostat burned out after about a year
- It takes FOREVER to cook the meat; hard to clean up
- Open the top and temperature drops precipitously
Note: Char-Broil and the Char-Broil logo are registered trademarks of Char-Broil LLC, a subsidiary of W. C. Bradley Co. Photos courtesy of Amazon.com and Lowe’s.com.