As a reviewer of the top selling coffee makers, we could not pass up reviewing of the DeLonghi EC155. This 15 Bar Pump Espresso and Cappuccino maker has a staggering 1,147 buyers who have left reviews on Amazon majority of those glowing with over 50% rating it at 5 stars. In fact it still remains Amazons best selling product in the espresso maker category.
So what makes the EC155 a cut above the rest in espresso makers and is it really that good? This review aims to provide answers as well as providing information on the good and bad points along with what the buyers are saying about the espresso maker.
DeLonghi EC155 Review
The EC155 is a 15 bar pressure pump driven coffee machine which is capable of making either espresso or cappuccinos. What makes it really appealing is that it gives you options in how you would like to make your coffee. You can use brew ground espresso or E.S.E pods thanks to its very unique patented dual filter holder system.
One of highlights or main benefits of Delonghi EC155 espresso maker is its capacity to take on 2 temperature settings with a double thermostat control. This means that the optimum temperature setting for either espresso or cappuccinos.
It doesn’t stop there either, like with most best selling coffeemakers, it has range of quality features that is noted by many buyers to excel above other brands and models many of which will set you back hundreds of dollars. Below is a summary of the main features as well as the main pros and cons of using the Delonghi EC155 as documented in buyer reviews.
Features on the Delonghi EC155
- can use either pods or ground coffee. The makes making espresso very easy and quick
- A swivel jet frother the allows a hassle-free preparation of lattes and cappuccinos. Many buyers having commented on the outstanding performance of the frother
- Self-primer for the operation mean there is no need to worry about starting up or preparation with the self-priming operation
- Always brew espresso at the perfect temperature with two separate thermostats, total control over temperature, water and steam pressure which ensures you get a perfect espresso brew to your liking
- High quality and durable stainless steel boiler with 15 bar pump driven pressure ensures years of use
– Consistently produces good crema
– Quality of the steam wand is very good and makes it easy for frothing of milk
– Flexible choices use pods or ground espresso
– Sizing, its very compact and is ideal if you dont have much kitchen space.
– Very durable with quality parts and stainless steel construction
– User operation is simple and quick with no complications
– Very easy to clean up and maintain
– The price incredible value for around 60 90 dollars (depending where you shop)
– Produces outstanding espresso making it even greater value.
Any Bad Points to Note?
Youll find it hard to fit a tall mug or travel mug size as the clearance space between the tray and porta filter is a fraction small. For larger cup you need to remove the drip tray. Regular espresso cups or shot glasses are fine though.
– There is a heavy reliance on plastic parts for this unit. Some will find that a turn-off if your used to stainless steel kitchen appliances.
– Pre-heating water is a little slow with 15 minutes some have reported up to 25 minutes.
– In addition there is no cup warmer, so you will need to heat up the cups prior to serving with another device like a microwave.
Buyer Reviews Positives and Negative Feedback
The general view of those who gave it a high rating, is that the EC155 produces outstanding espressos and cappuccinos for the small price you pay. They also indicate the machine is very easy to clean and like the fact its very compact in size. Another big talking point is the quality of the crema it can produces along with the milk frother both are top quality.
In regards to the negative feedback, there are lot saying the coffee machine stops working after 9 to 12 months, a few of those do admit they don’t look after and clean machine regularly which can cause problems. There are also some reporting the customer service from Delonghi is terrible and don’t offer support.
Other negative feedback includes the amount of manual operation with the unit and if your not used to making espressos you could come up with issues. Even so, there are negative reviewers still indicated the unit produces great quality espressos.
Final Verdict is this Delonghi Best Seller Worth It?
The Delonghi EC155 is a great entry level espresso maker capable of matching the standard of espressos produced by the top of the range commerical espresso machines at a fraction of the price with very easy operation and cleaning.
This is one of the main reasons its able to maintain its no.1 selling ranking for espresso makers on most online retail sites including Amazon. So if your looking for a low cost solution to making high quality espressos or cappuccinos this machine fits the bill.